It’s official (well, according to us, anyway): 2023 is the perfect year to buy a PS5.
While buying the console in the last couple of years has been somewhat difficult to recommend, Sony’s current-gen machine is shoring up its exclusive library admirably, and even more are scheduled to arrive in 2023 (at time of writing).
God of War Ragnarok, Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, and Returnal all provide excellent reasons to buy a PS5, and with Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 on the horizon, there’s never been a better time to be a PS5 owner.
So, with that in mind, here’s our PS5 Christmas buyers’ guide for 2023!
- 2023: Ideal year for PS5 purchase with improved availability.
- PS5 exclusive games provide strong reasons to buy.
- No pre-orders needed; PS5s readily available in stores.
- Disc vs. Digital PS5: choice depends on media preference.
- Bundles offer top games like “God of War Ragnarok”.
- Second DualSense controller recommended for continuous play.
Where can you get the PS5 from?
Before we begin, it’s important to establish one thing: the PS5 shortage that plagued the console’s early days is, for the most part, over.
While a Christmas rush for 2023 is entirely possible, for the most part, you should have no difficulties getting hold of a PS5 now, as supply has skyrocketed and demand has stayed level, if not slightly dropped off as more and more people get consoles.
As such, it doesn’t really matter where you go to get a PS5; you shouldn’t have to queue up or pre-order anything. Instead, you should simply be able to walk into any store on the High Street that sells PS5s, or visit any website where you can find them, and pick one up with ease.
Digital or disc: which PS5 should you get?
Let’s start with the basics. Which PS5 should you buy?
That, of course, will depend on whether you’re going to be collecting a lot of physical media. If you’re not someone who has a lot of space for a Blu-ray collection, you might want to opt for the digital model.
Both consoles perform exactly the same and have the same storage capacity, so the decision is purely a personal one; this isn’t an Xbox Series X and Series S situation, where the two consoles have different capabilities.
For our money, the disc-based PS5 is the better option; this gives you the choice between disc-based media and digital downloads rather than restricting you to one single type of game or purchase.
What games should you buy?
Now that you’ve decided which PS5 you should get, it’s time to think about what kind of games you should buy.
On UK websites like Game and Argos, or US sites like Amazon and Best Buy, you’ll find PS5 bundles with some of the biggest games around included in the box. Games like EA Sports FC 24 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II will often come with PS5s, so make your decision carefully.
In addition, some of the biggest exclusive games that you should pretty much buy regardless of what kind of games you’re into include God of War Ragnarok, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, and The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, all of which are excellent for gamers of all stripes.
If you’re into harder games with a higher level of challenge, then PS5 exclusives Demon’s Souls and Returnal are must-buys, while those who prefer more narrative-focused experiences should definitely look into The Last of Us Part I.
Beyond this, which games you should buy for your PS5 comes down to personal preference; look around and see what kind of games appeal to you!
Should you buy any extra accessories?
Assuming you’re buying your PS5 new from a retailer and not second-hand, your console will come with an HDMI cable, a two-pin power supply, and a single DualSense controller, as well as a stand for the console so you can position it vertically or horizontally.
In our opinion, a second DualSense controller is pretty much essential, especially if you’re going to be enjoying games alongside another player. Even if you’re planning to play exclusively single-player games, though, a second DualSense will allow you to keep gaming even when your controller runs out of charge.
Other accessories you may want to buy include the PS5’s Pulse 3D headset, which is great for multiplayer gaming and times when you need to stay quiet, as well as an official charging station for your controllers.
PlayStation VR2: is it worth it?
In February 2023, Sony released its next-gen successor to the PlayStation VR headset.
PlayStation VR2 might not be very imaginatively named, but it’s a hugely capable headset that will immerse you in all kinds of virtual worlds.
The killer app for the headset right now is Horizon Call of the Mountain, a first-person adventure experience that takes place within the world of popular open-world sandbox game Horizon Forbidden West.
Other great PS VR2 games that are available right now include The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR, Gran Turismo 7, and Beat Saber, so there is a strong lineup for PS VR2 that could entice you to pick a headset up.
However, right now, it’s hard to argue that PlayStation VR2 is completely essential.
It lacks the kind of killer app that Half-Life: Alyx represents for PC-based VR, and the fact that it is incapable of playing previous-gen PSVR titles is also somewhat unforgivable in our eyes.
If money is no object and you don’t mind splashing out a little, PlayStation VR2 is one of the most affordable VR headsets on a dollar-to-enjoyment ratio, in our opinion.
However, if you’re a little strapped for cash and just want to buy the most essential components of the PS5 experience, PlayStation VR2 can probably wait a little while.
As the snowflakes begin to settle and the festive spirit engulfs us in 2023, the PS5 stands out as a beacon of modern gaming allure. The hurdles of its nascent years – marred by supply issues – are behind us, making this Christmas the opportune moment to embrace the next generation of gaming. With an enviable library of exclusives, such as God of War Ragnarok and Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, Sony’s console promises immersive escapades that few platforms can rival.
Whether you’re swayed by the allure of physical media or the convenience of digital downloads, both PS5 versions beckon with identical prowess, leaving the choice entirely to your personal preference. As for the game bundles available, the range caters to both mainstream enthusiasts and niche aficionados. And while the gaming realm itself is tempting enough, the accessories, including the Pulse 3D headset and the DualSense controllers, amplify the gaming experience to new heights.
On the horizon of immersive gaming, the PlayStation VR2 presents a tantalizing prospect. While it may not be deemed essential for all, its offerings are undeniably impressive and worth considering for those with a penchant for virtual reality.
In closing, the PS5, in 2023, is not just a console but an embodiment of the gaming renaissance. Whether it’s a gift for a loved one or a treat for oneself, it promises a gateway to countless hours of entertainment and memorable adventures. As you navigate through the holiday shopping frenzy, keep this guide handy and may your gaming spirits soar this festive season!
PS5 Christmas Buyers’ Guide 2023 FAQs
- Why is 2023 the perfect year to buy a PS5?
- 2023 has seen a surge in exclusive game releases like God of War Ragnarok and Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, making it an exciting time to own the console.
- Are there still shortages of the PS5 in 2023?
- The PS5 shortages that were previously an issue have mostly subsided. As of 2023, with increased supply and stabilized demand, obtaining a PS5 should be much more straightforward.
- What’s the main difference between the Digital and Disc PS5 versions?
- Both consoles have identical performance and storage. The primary distinction is that the disc-based PS5 supports physical media, while the digital model is limited to downloadable content.
- Which PS5 version do you recommend, Digital or Disc?
- It’s a personal preference, but if you want flexibility between physical and digital games, the disc-based PS5 offers that advantage.
- Are there any game bundles available with the PS5?
- Yes, many UK retailers like Game and Argos offer PS5 bundles with popular titles like EA Sports FC 24 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II.
- What are the must-have PS5 exclusive games in 2023?
- Some of the recommended exclusives are God of War Ragnarok, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt, Demon’s Souls, and Returnal.
- Is a second DualSense controller necessary?
- It’s recommended, especially for multiplayer gaming. Having a second controller also ensures uninterrupted gameplay if one runs out of charge.
- Are there any other essential accessories for the PS5?
- You might consider the Pulse 3D headset for immersive audio, especially during multiplayer sessions, and an official charging station for the DualSense controllers.
- When was the PlayStation VR2 released?
- The PlayStation VR2 was released in February 2023.
- Is the PlayStation VR2 backward compatible with previous-gen PSVR titles?
No, the PlayStation VR2 cannot play titles from the previous-gen PSVR.
- Would you consider the PlayStation VR2 an essential purchase in 2023?
While it offers a compelling virtual reality experience and has a robust lineup of games, it might not be deemed essential for everyone, especially considering its inability to play previous-gen PSVR titles.
- How does the PlayStation VR2 compare in terms of value to PC VR options?
The PlayStation VR2 is one of the more affordable VR options in terms of the dollar-to-enjoyment ratio when compared to some PC VR headsets.
- Is the PS5 in 2023 significantly different from the earlier models?
The core hardware and features of the PS5 remain consistent. However, software updates and a larger library of exclusive games enhance the 2023 experience.
- Where can I buy the PS5 during the Christmas season of 2023?
With supply issues being mostly resolved, you should be able to purchase a PS5 from most High Street stores or online retailers that offer gaming consoles.