World War II has proven to be extremely fertile ground for video games.
Whether it’s the early days of Call of Duty or the back-to-basics approach favoured by shooters like Battlefield, World War II provides a relatively uncomplicated narrative for gamers to get behind, as well as a strong setting for action games, strategy titles, and much more.
With that in mind, then, the PS5 is rife with great WW2 games you can enjoy, no matter what your particular gaming persuasion might be.
We may also include PS4 games that are playable on PS5 via backwards compatibility in this list, as there are a number of them that shouldn’t be missed.
Let’s take a look at the best PS5 WW2 games you can play in 2023!
Call of Duty: Vanguard
No list of great PS5 World War II games would be complete without a Call of Duty game, and Vanguard is the only native PS5 title in the series to return to that conflict.
The game’s campaign takes place during the waning months of the war, but you’ll be flashing back to earlier points as well, reliving various moments in major theatres like the North Africa Campaign and the Western Front.
Multiplayer-wise, you can expect the same tight shooting as always, complete with a zombies mode that should give you and your friends plenty to do if you’re not feeling up to competitive play.
Hell Let Loose
You probably won’t want to take a look at Hell Let Loose if you’re looking for strictly single-player experiences, as this is a multiplayer battle royale shooter, but World War II aficionados will want to add it to their list.
Hell Let Loose pits teams of up to 50 players against one another in various World War II-themed maps. Co-operation between players is critical for survival; there’s no running off and doing things your way here.
The game features a rather unique hierarchical system that has some players issuing commands to others, and together with different character classes, this gives Hell Let Loose an authentic feel often missing from games of this genre.
Sniper Elite 5
Combining the sniping gameplay of the Sniper Elite series with the kind of open-ended map design often seen in games like Hitman, Sniper Elite 5 feels like the culmination of Rebellion’s already-excellent formula.
The single-player campaign has you hunting a series of targets, setting up the perfect sniping location and taking them down when they least expect it (or just hurling a rock at their head and running away).
Multiplayer, meanwhile, features an ingenious twist on the hide-and-seek formula in which one of your enemies is actually a player in disguise, leading to thrilling games of chase as you try to figure out who the invader might be.
Company of Heroes 3
Sega describes Company of Heroes 3 as “the ultimate WW2 console experience”, and it’s pretty hard to argue with that, although you’ll probably want to steer clear of it if you’re not much for strategy.
Company of Heroes 3 is much more cerebral than many of its World War II compatriots; it’s a real-time strategy game in which decision-making, planning ahead, and carefully scouting the battlefield will win the day.
This third instalment also comes complete with a new Dynamic Campaign Map system, which sees you making decisions about the overall direction of the war in large-scale turn-based grand strategy play.
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Originally released for PS4 in 2014, Wolfenstein: The New Order is very playable on PS5, so if you haven’t already experienced this surprisingly involving and harrowing story of an alternate-history 1960s America, you should.
Longtime series protagonist B.J. Blazkowicz is here reimagined as a tired, cynical warrior who’s battling a regime whose cruelty never seems to abate. He’s joined by a cast of similarly weary characters as they try to beat back the Nazis.
The gunplay on offer here is satisfying; the game plays as a sort of prototype to 2016’s Doom, albeit with more of a focus on stealth and strategy rather than all-out murder sprees (although you can embark on those too if you like).
Valkyria Chronicles Remastered
Technically speaking, Valkyria Chronicles isn’t actually set during World War II. Rather, it takes place during a very thinly-veiled analogue of the conflict, in a fictional continent that’s essentially Europe with one of those glasses-and-moustache disguises.
The gameplay on offer here is a rather clever mixture of third-person shooting and strategy gameplay. Each character gets a limited range of movement during their turn, and positioning them for maximum damage while protecting them from enemy fire is the order of the day.
The story might not be the most complex or nuanced offering in its genre, but Valkyria Chronicles has rock-solid tactical gameplay and endearing characters, so check it out if you need a break from the unrelenting horror of realistic World War II games.
If you like the tactical action of Hell Let Loose, then you may also want to check out Enlisted, Gaijin’s World War II shooter hat that’s been thrown into the ring.
The game focuses on large-scale battles that have been designed to look just as massive and imposing as their real-life counterparts, as well as gameplay that maximises the contributions of each individual player.
There are more than 10 classes on offer, each of which brings something different to gameplay, and you’ll also find lots of authentic weapons and equipment from the era to play around with.
The PlayStation 5, in 2023, offers a rich tapestry of World War II-inspired games, allowing players to immerse themselves in various facets of the era. From the front lines of action-packed shooters to the strategic command tables, the PS5 ensures that fans of the WWII genre have a plethora of options to choose from.
- Which Call of Duty title on PS5 focuses on World War II?
- “Call of Duty: Vanguard” returns to the WWII era and showcases key moments from the war in its campaign, alongside its multiplayer and zombies modes.
- Are there any large-scale multiplayer battle royale WWII games on PS5?
- “Hell Let Loose” offers a massive multiplayer experience, setting teams of up to 50 players against each other on WWII-themed maps.
- Which game combines the thrill of sniping with an open-world design?
- “Sniper Elite 5” fuses sniping gameplay with an expansive map design, offering both single-player and innovative multiplayer modes.
- For players who enjoy strategy, which WWII game should they consider?
- “Company of Heroes 3” is a cerebral real-time strategy game that requires meticulous planning, scouting, and decision-making.
- Is there a WWII game on PS5 that explores an alternate-history?
- “Wolfenstein: The New Order” delves into an alternate-history 1960s America under Nazi rule, combining compelling storytelling with intense gunplay.
- Which game is a fictional representation of WWII with a blend of third-person shooting and strategy?
- “Valkyria Chronicles Remastered” is set in a fictional counterpart of Europe during WWII, mixing strategy with third-person shooting elements.
- Does PS5 have any tactical WWII shooters that focus on realism and authenticity?
- “Enlisted” emphasizes large-scale realistic battles, providing players with over 10 classes and a variety of authentic weapons and equipment from the WWII era.