Aeons ago, gaming was regarded as a solitary hobby. Partners would watch in despair as their significant others gamed well into the night, wondering when they were going to get to spend some time with the person they loved (or so the stereotype went, anyway).
It’s definitely not an understatement to say that gaming has come a long way since then. Games are being made for all kinds of demographics and persuasions, and that includes couples; if you’re looking for games to play with your loved one, then you won’t find any shortage on PS5. Here are the best PS5 games for couples to try out and play together.
It Takes Two
It’s fair to say that It Takes Two’s writing will either endear its characters to you or leave you utterly cold. To us, there’s something a little cynical about Josef Fares’ tale of a married couple at the end of their rope, but the wonderful gameplay means the storytelling almost doesn’t matter. Every new level in It Takes Two has something fresh and innovative to offer, and the game is designed around co-op, so you and your partner will always need to work together to surmount the challenges you face.
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
The LittleBigPlanet games were excellent, and so it stands to reason that Sackboy: A Big Adventure would offer a great time for couples looking for games to team up on as well. This 3D platformer has varied level design, lots of collectibles to hunt down, and some truly joyous musical levels that will put a massive grin on both your face and that of your partner. If you’re willing to engage with some of Sackboy’s more challenging moments, this one will last you a while, too.
Overcooked! All You Can Eat
We need to preface this entry with a caveat: do not play Overcooked! All You Can Eat with your partner if your relationship is in any way delicate or fractious. This frantic, chaotic co-op multiplayer game has you and up to three friends (but it’s perfectly playable as a two-player game) racing around a kitchen and trying to fulfil customers’ orders, and it gets very difficult very quickly, necessitating lots of shouted communication. When you get it right, though, Overcooked! is glorious fun.
Some people’s partners aren’t particularly into more hardcore or violent games, but if your partner is interested in first-person shooters, then Borderlands 3 is a great way to kill a few hours. It’s a fairly mindless looter-shooter; you’ll roam around wasteland locations shooting colourful enemies and picking up the many and varied guns they drop. While you won’t find a particularly engaging story here, the gameplay is enjoyable and the whole campaign is playable in co-op.
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Talk about a massive amount of content. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga presents the entire nine-film odyssey that is the main Star Wars movie series in Lego form, allowing you and your partner to collect studs, look for hidden secrets, and puzzle-platform around accurate Lego recreations of Star Wars locations to your hearts’ content. It’s not going to blow your mind when it comes to difficulty or nuance, but this is a lovely little PS5 game for a couple to play.
Chicory: A Colourful Tale
There’s an emerging trend in gaming that revolves around games exploring a theme of mental health. Chicory: A Colourful Tale is one such game, so if you and your partner want to enjoy an emotional (but still cosy) time together, this is a great co-op PS5 game to check out. It’s a fairly sedate painting game that doesn’t really require much in the way of twitch reflexes (with one or two notable exceptions), so it’s also great for partners who don’t game very often.
Naturally, you should only check out FIFA 23 with your partner if they’re enthusiastic about football (and, indeed, if you are). If that’s the case, though, then EA’s football sim really is the last word in its genre, especially since Konami apparently decided that the once-mighty PES franchise should be kicked to the kerb. With lots of licensed teams, stadia, and events to check out, as well as a revamped game engine that allows for greater tactical depth, FIFA 23 is a superb football game.
Did you know that phenomenally popular battle royale game Fortnite has a split-screen mode? It’s not something that Epic often trumpets from the rooftops, but it’s true; you can grab a friend (or, in this case, a partner!) and enjoy hopping into battle royale games together from the same console. If you’re yet to experience the addictive joys of Fortnite, then playing a game or two (or twelve, since you probably won’t be able to stop) with a partner is a good gateway.
Human: Fall Flat
The physics-based hilarity of Human: Fall Flat must be experienced to be believed. Playing through the many and varied levels on offer with a partner is one of the most joyous gaming experiences you’re likely to have, and since more levels keep on being added to the game for free, this is one well that isn’t likely to run dry anytime soon. Of course, working together to overcome Human: Fall Flat’s challenges is the order of the day, but there’s nothing stopping you from griefing your partner either (aside from potential arguments, that is).
Couples nowadays have a myriad of options to choose from when it comes to co-op gaming on the PlayStation 5. From adventures centered around teamwork to frenetic kitchen chaos, playful physics-based hilarity to emotional explorations of mental health, the PS5 ensures that partners can bond over shared gaming experiences.
- Which game focuses primarily on the story of a married couple navigating through their challenges together?
- “It Takes Two” is centered around a couple working together to face different challenges, emphasizing co-operative gameplay.
- What would you recommend for couples who love platforming games?
- “Sackboy: A Big Adventure” offers delightful 3D platforming with musical levels that will entertain and challenge couples.
- Which game is perfect for partners who love high-octane kitchen action?
- “Overcooked! All You Can Eat” presents a chaotic multiplayer kitchen experience, where communication is key to success.
- Is there a co-op shooter game suitable for couples?
- “Borderlands 3” is an enjoyable looter-shooter with a co-op campaign, perfect for couples wanting a more action-packed experience.
- Which game lets couples experience the entire Star Wars movie series in Lego form?
- “Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga” encapsulates the nine-film journey in Lego style, making it a fun, nostalgic choice.
- Any recommendations for a co-op game with an emotional touch?
- “Chicory: A Colourful Tale” delves into themes of mental health, offering an emotional yet heartwarming experience.
- What’s the best sports game for football-loving couples?
- “FIFA 23” offers the definitive football simulation experience, ideal for couples who are passionate about the sport.
- Is there a battle royale game with a split-screen mode suitable for couples?
- “Fortnite” allows for split-screen gameplay, letting partners jump into the battle royale arena together.
- Which game offers physics-based comedic gameplay for couples?
- “Human: Fall Flat” introduces a world of physics-based challenges that couples can either tackle together or hilariously sabotage each other.